At The Commonweal School we aim to be inclusive and to offer a student centered approach. We strive to ensure equal opportunities for all of our learners so they can achieve their potential, learn to the best of their ability, and become well rounded individuals.
The views of our students and their parents are of great importance to us. We always aim to listen to them and to work together to provide students with the tools they need on a pathway to future aspirations.
What makes this job so rewarding is the daily interaction with the students we support and being a part of their journey. Everything we do is about nurturing and developing our SEND students to reach their full potential. Students with SEND leave The Commonweal School with the tools and confidence they need to face the next steps of their journey.
- For students with a range of Special Educational Needs & Disabilities (SEND)
- An established core of specialist support for students who may have moderate learning difficulties, speech and language needs or are on the autistic spectrum
- Managed by Becca Fidan (SENDCO) and Ros Teeuwen (MSEND Coordinator)
- A variety of student led interventions are offered for students with SEND
- Korina Gosling-Cowdery (SEND Teacher) is based in the provision, who also oversees support for students with SEMH (Social, Emotional and Mental Health) needs across the school
- Support is based around in class support developing both student’s skills as well as their independence and confidence
Physical disabilities SRP (Specialist Resource Provision)
- Established as an integral element of the school for over 25 years
- For students with an Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP) for Physical Disability
- Managed by Crystal Clifford-Budden (Assistant SENDCO) & Danuta Janicka (PI Coordinator)
- Placement for nineteen students
- A team of fourteen specialist teaching assistants
- Specialist bathroom and personal care facilities
- Bespoke facilities for personal care, physiotherapy, illness recovery and private study
- Full integration of students into the school’s academic, pastoral and social life
- Opportunities to experience a range of specialist sport and drama events, both locally and nationally
The Faculty is supported by our SEND Administrator, Jo Innes.
As well as providing dedicated student support to students with Education Health and Care Plans, the Faculty works closely with the school’s Pastoral Team.
“It is the opinion of both visiting consultants that with their experience of visiting hundreds of schools, the high quality provision and outstanding support at The Commonweal School had seldom, if ever been seen before and the Leadership and Management of the school are to be congratulated.”
Inclusion Expert, 2017