At The Commonweal School we aim to be inclusive and to offer a student centered approach. We strive to ensure equal opportunities for all of our learners so they can achieve their potential, learn to the best of their ability, and become well rounded individuals.
The views of our students and their parents are of great importance to us. We always aim to listen to them and to work together to provide students with the tools they need on a pathway to future aspirations.
What makes this job so rewarding is the daily interaction with the students we support and being a part of their journey. Everything we do is about nurturing and developing our SEND students to reach their full potential. Students with SEND leave The Commonweal School with the tools and confidence they need to face the next steps of their journey.
- For students with a range of Special Educational Needs & Disabilities (SEND).
- An established core of specialist support for students who may have moderate learning difficulties, speech and language needs or are on the autistic spectrum.
- Managed by Becca Fidan (SENDCO) & Teresa Sanger (HLTA)
- A variety of student led interventions are offered for students with SEND.
- Support is based around in class support developing both student’s skills as well as their independence and confidence.
Physical disabilities SRP (Specialist Resource Provision)
- Established as an integral element of the school for over 25 years.
- For students with an Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP) for Physical Disability.
- Managed by Crystal Clifford-Budden (Assistant SENDCO & Teacher of SEND) & Danuta Janicka (PI Coordinator)
- Placement for twenty students.
- A team of twenty one specialist teaching assistants.
- Specialist bathroom and personal care facilities.
- Bespoke facilities for personal care, physiotherapy, illness recovery and private study
- The Advisory Teacher for Physical Disability in Swindon, Emma Waters is based in the provision.
For more information about this service please see mycaremysupport.co.uk
- Full integration of students into the school’s academic, pastoral and social life.
- Opportunities to experience a range of specialist sport and drama events, both locally and nationally.
Specific Learning Difficulties SRP (Specialist Resource Provision)
- Established as an integral part of the school for over 25 years.
- For students with an Education and Health Care Plan.
- Managed by Ros Teeuwen (HLTA). Korina Gosling-Cowdery (SEND Teacher) is also based in the provision.
- Placement for 25 students.
- A team of fifteen Specialist Teaching Assistants.
- From January 2015 new teaching and office space.
- Full integration into the school’s academic, pastoral and social life of the school.
- Individualised teaching programme on entry in year 7.
- Targeted in class support reflecting student’s abilities and needs
As well as providing dedicated student support to students with Education Health and Care Plans, the Faculty works closely with the school’s Pastoral Team and Interventions Coordinator.
“It is the opinion of both visiting consultants that with their experience of visiting hundreds of schools, the high quality provision and outstanding support at The Commonweal School had seldom, if ever been seen before and the Leadership and Management of the school are to be congratulated.”
Inclusion Expert, 2017