“It is the opinion of both visiting consultants that with their experience of visiting hundreds of schools, the high quality provision and outstanding support at The Commonweal School had seldom, if ever been seen before and the Leadership and Management of the school are to be congratulated.”
I am incredibly proud to be SENCo at The Commonweal School. We are a forward thinking SEN(D) department with state of the art facilities that meet the needs of a variety of learners.
At The Commonweal School we aim to be inclusive and to offer a pupil centered approach. We strive to ensure equal opportunities for all of our learners so they can achieve their potential, learn to the best of their ability, and become well rounded individuals.
The views of our students and their parents are of great importance to us. We always aim to listen to them and to work together to provide students with the tools they need on a pathway to future aspirations.
What makes this job so rewarding is the daily interaction with the students we support and being a part of their journey. Everything we do is about nurturing and developing our SEN(D) students to reach their full potential. Students with SEN(D) leave The Commonweal School with the tools and confidence they need to face the next steps of their journey.
I hope you enjoy looking through our School Offer.
- For students with a range of Special Educational Needs & Disabilities.
- An established core of specialist support for students who may have moderate learning difficulties, speech and language needs or are on the autistic spectrum.
- Managed by Ali Merk (SENCO) & Teresa Sanger (HLTA)
- A variety of student led interventions are offered for students with SEND.
- Support is based around in class support developing both student’s skills as well as their independence and confidence.
- Established as an integral element of the school for over 25 years.
- For students with an Education Health Care Plan for Physical Disabilities.
- Managed by Crystal Clifford (Teacher of SEND) & Danuta Janicka (PI Coordinator)
- Placement for twenty students.
- A team of twenty one specialist teaching assistants.
- Specialist bathroom and personal care facilities.
- Bespoke facilities for personal care, physiotherapy, illness recovery and private study
- The Advisory Teacher for Physical Disability, Emma Waters and Outreach Worker, Sam James are both based in the provision for students with a physical disability. For more information about this service please see www.mycaremysupport.co.uk and here
- Full integration of students into the school’s academic, pastoral and social life.
- Opportunities to experience a range of specialist sports and drama events, both locally and nationally.
Specific Learning Difficulties
- Established as an integral part of the school for over 25 years.
- For students with an Education and Health Care Plan.
- Managed by Rebecca Fidan (Assistant SENCO/SpLD Coordinator) & Ros Teeuwen (SpLd HLTA)
- Placement for 30 students.
- A team of fifteen Specialist Teaching Assistants including one higher level TA (Ros Teeuwen).
- From January 2015 new teaching and office space.
- Full integration into the school’s academic, pastoral and social life of the school.
- Individualised teaching programme on entry in year 7.
- Targeted in class support reflecting student’s abilities and needs
Mrs Alison Merk, SENCO
Students with a wide range of special educational needs are supported across the school. There are two Specialist Resource Provisions as well as a mainstream support team. As well as providing dedicated student support to students with Education Health Care Plans, the Faculty works closely with the school’s Pastoral Team and Interventions Coordinator.